| Archduchess of Austria, Princess of Nassau, Countess of Limburg-Stirum
|Reign||30 July 1997 - 21 February 2007 (9 years, 206 days)|
|Successor||Sophie, Queen Consort of Prussia|
|Spouse|| Georg Friedrich, King of Prussia (m. 1997 div. 2007) |
Count Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum (m. 2008)
| Wilhelm Ferdinand, Crown Prince of Prussia |
Prince Christian Alexander of Prussia
Princess Kira Astrid of Prussia
Princess Victoria Marie of Prussia
Archduke Léopold of Austria
Archduke Constantin of Austria
Archduke Gabriel of Austria
|Marie Christine Anna Astrid Zita Charlotte|
|House||House of Habsburg (by Marriage)|
|Father||Archduke Carl Christian of Austria|
|Mother||Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria|
|Born||31 July 1976|
HI&RH Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria (Marie Christine Anne Astrid Zita Charlotte: born 31 July 1976) is the eldest child and daughter of Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria and Archduke Carl Christian of Austria.
Early Life Edit
Archduchess Marie Christine was born on 31 July 1976, in Brussels. She was born as the eldest child and daughter of Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria and Archduke Carl Christian of Austria. She is the eldest grandchild of Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg and Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium.
Archduchess Marie Christine has four siblings, three younger brothers and one younger sister.
- Archduke Imre of Austria
- Archduke Christoph of Austria
- Archduke Alexander of Austria
- Archduchess Gabrielle of Austria
Archduchess Marie Christine was christened on 12 October 1976 at the Chapelle Sainte-Anne in Brussels. Her godparents are: Henri, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg (her mother's brother), Archduke Rudolf of Austria (her father's uncle), and Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este (her mother's cousin).
Education and Career Edit
The Archduchess grew up in Geneva, Switzerland, where she attended local schools. She later attended a boarding school in United Kingdom.
After Finishing school, she lived in chile for a couple of months. She worked for a humanitarian aid project trying to improve the living conditions of poor families in the south of the country.
During and after her marriage to the Emperor, The empress attended the Institut Libre Marie Haps in Brussels where she studied psychology. She focused her studies on Psychomotor education, a pedagogic and theraputic approach with the aim to support and aid an individual's personal development. During this time, she worked with with children with severe motor handicaps for five months. In 2007, she worked in the Lebanese capital Beirut in an institution for handicapped children for a couple of weeks.
The Archduchess is fluent in French, German, Luxembourgish, English and Spanish.
Personal Life Edit
First Marriage Edit
Georg Friedrich and Marie Christine announced their engagement on 16 June 1996 and were to be married on 22 July 1997 at the Grand Imperial Church of Peace, Following the ceremony, a wedding banquet was held by the bride and groom's parents on the grounds of the Royal Palace of Prussia.
Marie Christine and Georg Friedrich had four children together, two sons and two daughters.
On 18 April 1998, The Royal Court of Prussia announced that the Empress was pregnant and expecting the couple's first child in October 1998. On 10 October 1998, It was announced that the Empress gave birth to a son and heir.
- His Imperial and Royal Highness Wilhelm Ferdinand, Crown Prince of Prussia, born 10 October 1998. He is the eldest child and first son of both Georg Friedrich and Marie Christine.
On 10 November 1999, The Prussian Royal Court announced that Empress Marie Christine was pregnant and expecting the couple's second child in May 2000. On 25 January 2000, It was announced that the Empress was expecting twins. On 15 May 2000, It was announced that the Empress gave birth to their children, a son and daughter.
- His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Christian Alexander of Prussia born 15 May 2000. He is the twin son of Georg Friedrich and Marie Christine and twin brother of Kira Astrid.
- Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess Kira Astrid of Prussia, born 15 May 2000. She is the twin daughter of Georg Friedrich and Marie Christine and twin sister of Christian Alexander.
On 31 December 2004, The Prussian Royal Court announced that Empress Marie Christine was pregnant and expecting the couple's fourth child in June 2005. On 18 June 2005, It was announced that the Empress gave birth to their fourth child and second daughter.
- Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess Victoria Marie of Prussia, born 18 June 2002. She is the first daughter of Georg Friedrich and Marie Christine.
On 17 November 2006, Marie Christine and Georg Friedrich announced their separation and intention to divorce then four months later they announced they were divorcing. On 21 March 2007, it was announced that they were officially divorced after ten years of marriage.
They both share custody of their four children, Crown Prince Wilhelm Ferdinand, Prince Christian Alexander, Princess Kira Astrid and Princess Victoria Marie.
Second Marriage Edit
Archduchess Marie Christine and Count Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum announced their engagement on 10 September 2007 (on her son, Wilhelm Ferdinand's 9th birthday) and were married on 6 December 2008 in a religious ceremony in Mechelen, Belgium.
Marie Christine and Count Rodolphe have three sons together.
- Archduke Léopold de Limburg-Stirum, born 19 April 2011.
- Archduke Constantin of Austria, born 25 October 2013.
- Archduke Gabriel of Austria, born July 2016.
Titles, Styles and Honours Edit
Titles and Styles Edit
- 31 July 1976 - 22 July 1997: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria, Princess of Nassau and Princess of Bourbon-Parma
- 22 July 1997 - 21 February 2007: Her Imperial and Royal Majesty The German Empress, Queen Consort of Prussia
- 21 February 2007 - 6 December 2008: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria, and Princess of Nassau
- 6 December 2008 - present: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria, Princess of Nassau and Countess de Limburg-Stirum.
As a member of the Grand-Ducal house of Luxembourg, at 18 years old:
- Luxembourg : Grand Cross of Order of Adolphe of Nassau (by birth, on 18 years old)
- Luxembourg : Commemorative Silver Jubilee Medal of His Royal Highness The Grand Duke Jean (12 November 1989).