| Archduchess of Austria, Princess of Nassau, Countess of Limburg-Stirum
|Reign||30 July 1997 - 21 February 2007 (9 years, 206 days)|
|Successor||Sophie, Queen Consort of Prussia|
|Spouse|| Georg Friedrich, King of Prussia (m. 1996 div. 2008) |
Count Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum
| Wilhelm Ferdinand, Crown Prince of Prussia |
Princess Victoria Marie of Prussia
Prince Christian Alexander of Prussia
Archduke Léopold of Austria
Archduke Constantin of Austria
Archduke Gabriel of Austia
|Marie Christine Anna Astrid Zita Charlotte|
|House||House of Habsburg (by Marriage)|
|Father||Archduke Carl Christian of Austria|
|Mother||Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria|
|Born||31 July 1976|
Early Life Edit
Archduchess Marie Christine was born on 31 July 1976, in Brussels. She was born as the eldest child and daughter of Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria and Archduke Carl Christian of Austria. She is the eldest grandchild of Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg and Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium.
Archduchess Marie Christine has four siblings, three younger brothers and one younger sister.
- Archduke Imre of Austria
- Archduke Christoph of Austria
- Archduke Alexander of Austria
- Archduchess Gabrielle of Austria
Archduchess Marie Christine was christened on 12 October 1976 at the Chapelle Sainte-Anne in Brussels. Her godparents are: Henri, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg (her mother's brother), Archduke Rudolf of Austria (her father's uncle), and Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este (her mother's cousin).
Education and Career Edit
The Archduchess grew up in Geneva, Switzerland, where she attended local schools. She later attended a boarding school in United Kingdom.
After Finishing school, she lived in chile for a couple of months. She worked for a humanitarian aid project trying to improve the living conditions of poor families in the south of the country.
During and after her marriage to the Emperor, The empress attended the Institut Libre Marie Haps in Brussels where she studied psychology. She focused her studies on Psychomotor education, a pedagogic and theraputic approach with the aim to support and aid an individual's personal development. During this time, she worked with with children with severe motor handicaps for five months. In 2007, she worked in the Lebanese capital Beirut in an institution for handicapped children for a couple of weeks.
The Archduchess is fluent in French, German, Luxembourgish, English and Spanish.
Personal Life Edit
First Marriage Edit
Georg Friedrich and Marie Christine announced their engagement on 16 June 1996 and were to be married on 20 July 1997 in a civil wedding ceremony at Potsdam's city hall by Jann Jakobs and the religious wedding ceremony was held on 22 July 1997 at the Grand Imperial Church of Peace, Following the ceremony, a wedding banquet dinner was held by the bride and groom's parents on the grounds of the Sanssouci summer palace of Frederick the Great.
Marie Christine and Georg Friedrich had three children together, two sons and and one daughter.
- His Imperial and Royal Highness Wilhelm Ferdinand Franz Christian Jean Phillipe Louis Alexander, Crown Prince of Prussia (born 10 October 1998). He is the eldest child and son of Georg Friedrich and Marie Christine. He is the heir apparent and he is expected to succeed the Imperial throne and is expected to succeed as Wilhelm III.
- Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess Victoria Marie Louise Astrid of Prussia, born 18 June 2001. She is the Archduchess's only daughter from both her marriages.
- His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Christian Alexander Frederick Michael Christoph Léopold Victor of Prussia, born 27 July 2004 (he was born four days before Marie Christine's 28th birthday). He is the third child and second son of Georg Friedrich I, German Emperor and The Archduchess.
On 17 November 2006, Marie Christine and Georg Friedrich announced their separation and intention to divorce then four months later they announced they were divorcing. On 21 March 2007, it was announced that they were officially divorced after ten years of marriage.
They both share Joint-custody of their three children, Crown Prince Wilhelm Ferdinand, The Princess Victoria Marie and Prince Christian Alexander.
Second Marriage Edit
Archduchess Marie Christine and Count Rudolphe announced their engagement on 10 October 2007 (on her son, Wilhelm Ferdinand's 9th birthday) and were married on 6 December 2008 in a religious ceremony in Mechelen, Belgium.
Marie Christine and Count Rudolphe have three sons together.
- Count Léopold Menno Phillipe Gabriel Francois-Xavier Marie Joseph Ghislian de Limburg-Stirum, born 19 April 2011.
- Count Constantin de Limburg-Stirum born 25 October 2013.
- Count Gabriel de Limburg-Stirum born July 2016.
Titles, Styles and Honours Edit
Titles and Styles Edit
- 31 July 1976 - 22 July 1997: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria, Princess of Nassau and Princess of Bourbon-Parma
- 22 July 1997 - 21 February 2007: Her Imperial and Royal Majesty The German Empress, Queen Consort of Prussia
- 21 February 2007 - 6 December 2008: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria, and Princess of Nassau
- 6 December 2008 - present: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria, Princess of Nassau and Countess de Limburg-Stirum.
As a member of the Grand-Ducal house of Luxembourg, at 18 years old:
- Luxembourg : Grand Cross of Order of Adolphe of Nassau (by birth, on 18 years old)
- Luxembourg : Commemorative Silver Jubilee Medal of His Royal Highness The Grand Duke Jean (12 November 1989).