|Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg|
| Prince of Prussia and Duke of Oldenburg
|Spouse|| Princess Marie-Cecile of Prussia (m. 1965. div. 1985) |
Donata, Countess of Castell-Rüdenhausen (m. 1984)
| Duke Paul-Wladimir of Oldenburg |
Duchess Rixa of Oldenburg
Duchess Bibiane of Oldenburg
Duke Christian August of Oldenburg
|Friedrich August Wilhelm Christian Ernst|
|House|| House of Holstein-Gottorp |
House of Hohenzollern
|Father||Nikolaus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg|
|Mother||Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont|
|Born|| 11 January 1936 |
Rastede, Oldenburg, Germany
|Died||9 July 2017 (aged 81)|
Prince Friedrich August of Prussia, Duke of Oldenburg (Friedrich August Wilhelm Christian Ernst: born 11 January 1936 - died 9 July 2017) was a member of the House of Hohenzollern, as second the husband of Dowager Crown Princess Donata, the mother of Georg Friedrich I, German Emperor.
Early Life Edit
Duke Friedrich August is the sixth child and fourth son of the late Nikolaus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg and his first wife Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont. His paternal grandparents were Frederick Augustus II, Grand Duke of Oldenburg and Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. His maternal grandparents were Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and Princess Bathildis of Schaumburg-Lippe.
His grandfather was overthrown as Grand Duke of Oldenburg in 1918, at the end of World War I. His father Nikolaus thus never legally succeeded to the title when the deposed Grand Duke died in 1931. Friedrich is an uncle of Christian, Duke of Oldenburg, the current head of the House of Oldenburg .
Marriage and Family Edit
First Marriage Edit
Friedrich August's first wife was Princess Marie-Cecile of Prussia. She was a daughter of Louis Ferdinand I, German Emperor (second son of Wilhelm III, German Emperor) and his wife, Empress Kira of Prussia. They married in Berlin in a civil ceremony on 3 December 1965 and a religious ceremony the following day. He was working as an agricultural expert. The ceremony was the first Hohenzollern marriage in Berlin since 1913.
Friedrich August and Marie-Cécile have three children: one son and two daughters:
- Duke Paul-Wladimir of Oldenburg, born 16 August 1969 in Lübeck. He married Maria del Pilar Méndez de Vigo y Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg in a civil ceremony on 18 January 2001 and a religious ceremony on 20 January 2001 in Bronnbach an der Tauber. They have four sons and one daughter:
- Duke Kirill of Oldenburg, born 13 June 2002 in Berlin
- Duke Carlos of Oldenburg, born 19 April 2004
- Duke Paul Marie of Oldenburg, born 8 September 2005.
- Duchess Maria Assunta of Oldenburg, born 21 March 2007.
- Duke Peter of Oldenburg, born 2009
- Duchess Rixa of Oldenburg, born 17 September 1970 married Stephan Sanders on October 13th 2012.
- Duchess Bibiane of Oldenburg, born 24 June 1974. She married Mr Peter Dorner on 22 May 2004. They have two daughters and one son:
- Miss Xenia Dorner
- Miss Rixa Dorner
- Mr Alexej Dorner
Marie-Cécile and Friedrich August divorced on 23 November 1979.
Second Marriage Edit
On 9 February 1987, Friedrich August was remarried to Dowager Crown Princess Donata of Prussia, Germany. She was the widow of Crown Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, the brother of his first-wife Marie-Cecile and mother of the heir to the throne, Georg Friedrich at the time. They had one child together, a son:
- Prince Joachim August of Prussia, born 21 March 1985. On 8 September 2012, he married longtime girlfriend, Princess Sophie of Isenburg. They have two children and awaiting the birth of their third child in August 2018:
On 9 July 2017, The Imperial Court announced that Prince Friedrich August died from Lung cancer at the age of 81 at his and his wife's home, Schönhausen Palace. When he died he was surrounded by his wife of 33 years, his children, his stepchildren and some of his grandchildren and step-grandchildren.
His funeral was held at the Imperial Abbey on 19 July 2017. The Emperor with his three elder sons; Wilhelm, Christian Alexander and Heinrich; the five children of Prince Friedrich August, his nephew the Duke of Oldenburg and his other relatives all walked behind his coffin. He is buried in the Imperial Families burial yard, his wife when she dies will be beside him and her first husband, the Emperor's father.
Titles, Styles and Honours Edit
Titles and Styles Edit
- 11 January 1936 – 10 June 1996: His Highness Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg
- 26 January 1995 - present: His Royal Highness Prince Friedrich August of Prussia, Duke of Oldenburg