| Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg (more)
|Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie|
|House||House of Bourbon-Parma|
|Father||Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg|
|Mother||Maria Teresa, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg|
|v • d • e|
|Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg|
HRH Princess Marie Gabriele
HRH The Dowager Princess of Ligne
|v • d • e|
Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg (Given names: Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie; born 11 November 1981) has been heir apparent to the crown of Luxembourg since his father's accession in 2000.
Guillaume was born in Luxembourg and is the eldest child of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and his wife Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Cuban-born. Guillaume has four younger siblings: Prince Félix, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra and Prince Sébastien.
Guillaume's education includes Lycée Robert-Schumann in Luxembourg; Beau Soleil and Institut Le Rosey boarding schools in Switzerland; and Royal Military Academy Sandhurst Camberley, England. He began his higher education studies in the United Kingdom where he studied at the University of Durham and Brunel University, both in England.
In 2006 he entered Institut Philanthropos in Fribourg, Switzerland, where he spent a year studying philosophy and anthropology. He later studied letters and political science at the Institut Albert-le-Grand in Angers, receiving his bachelors degree with honors in 2009. His degree was issued by Université Angers, due to a partnership agreement between the two schools.
He speaks Luxembourgish, French, German, Spanish and English.
Hereditary Grand DukeEdit
Guillaume has been Heir Apparent to the crown of Luxembourg since his father's accession in 2000. If he succeeds to the grand ducal throne as expected, he will reign as the fifth of his name, Guillaume V. His duties include Honorary Chairman, Board of Economic Development of Luxembourg and the Kraizberg Foundation, a charitable institution for the disabled.
Guillaume represented Luxembourg in the celebrations in honor of Queen Sonja of Norway's birthday in July 2007 and later on in September 2007, during the 40th birthday celebrations of the heir-apparent to the Dutch throne, Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange.
His most public relationship was with Norwegian Pia Haraldsen, the then stepdaughter of Karl Otto Haraldsen, a nephew of the Queen of Norway. They met at the 2001 wedding of the Crown Prince of Norway to Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby and began dating in 2002. The relationship ended after a year.
Guillaume is interested in music and sports; he plays piano and enjoys soccer, swimming and volleyball.
Guillaume is godparent to:
- Prince Sébastien, his youngest brother
- Prince Paul Louis of Nassau, his cousin
- Prince Emmanuel of Belgium
- Princess Ariane of the Netherlands
- Prince Noah of Nassau, his nephew
On 26 April 2012, the court announced the engagement of the Hereditary Grand Duke to Belgian Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy.
Their wedding is planned for 20 October 2012.
Titles and styleEdit
- 11 November 1981 – 28 July 1986: His Royal Highness Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg, Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma
- 28 July 1986 – 18 December 2000: His Royal Highness Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg, Prince of Nassau
- 18 December 2000 – present: His Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
His style and title in full is: His Royal Highness Guillaume, Hereditary Grand-Duke of Luxemburg, Hereditary Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma.
Honours and awardsEdit
- Luxembourg: Knight of the Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau (by birth)
As Prince of Luxembourg, at 18 years old :
- Luxembourg: Grand Cross of Order of Adolphe of Nassau (by birth, on 18 years old)
- Italy: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (2009)
- Netherlands: Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau (2012)
- Slovakia: Grand Officer (or 2nd Class) of the Order of the White Double Cross