Crown Prince Pavlos was born on 20 May 1967 in Athens, to King Constantine II of Greece and Queen Anne Marie, by birth a Princess of Denmark. His mother is a sister of Margrethe II of Denmark. His maternal grandparents were Frederick IX of Denmark and Ingrid of Sweden.
By Greek tradition, he was named for his paternal grandfather, King Paul (Pavlos) of the Hellenes. His older sister, Princess Alexia, had been born two years earlier, in 1965. Crown Prince Pavlos was baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, with Charles, Prince of Wales (King Constantine’s second cousin), as one of his godparents.
Military coup of 1967Edit
Crown Prince Pavlos was born into a turbulent era in Greek politics. His father, King Constantine II, had acceded to the throne on 6 March 1964, at the age of 23, following the death of his father, King Pavlos.
As 1967 drew to a close, the "Regime of the Colonels", led by Colonel George Papadopoulos, was increasingly characterized by suppression of civil liberties, along with imprisonment or exile of opponents. In December of that year, King Constantine attempted a counter-coup, but could not rally sufficient military support. The King fled with his wife and children to Rome. Crown Prince Pavlos' younger brother Prince Nikolaos, was born in Rome in 1969.
Abolition of the monarchyEdit
During the years 1964–1973, Greece remained officially a monarchy, with a regency appointed in the absence of the king. Beginning in 1973, when Prince Pavlos was six years old, a series of rapid changes occurred in the government of Greece. On 1 June 1973, Constantine II was declared deposed and Georgios Papadopoulos was self-appointed President of Greece. On 29 July 1973, the Greek plebiscite, 1973 was held to confirm the change.
On 17 November 1974, the Greek legislative election, 1974 were held, resulting in a victory for Karamanlis and his New Democratic (ND) party. On 8 December 1974, the Greek plebiscite, 1974. As in the one of the previous year, the outcome was in favour of a republican constitution (69%), over restoration of the monarchy (31%).
King Constantine accepted that his reign was at an end. He and Queen Anne Marie had been settled with their family in London for some time. Crown Prince Pavlos' youngest siblings were born in London, Princess Theodora in 1983, and Prince Philippos in 1986.
Crown Prince Pavlos was educated in London at the Hellenic College of London. He then trained as a British army officer at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst before taking a three-year commission with the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. He attended Georgetown University, Washington DC, graduating in 1993 in International Relations, Law and Organization. In 1995, he completed a Master of Science in Foreign Service, specializing in Eastern Europe and the Balkans, at Georgetown, where he was roommates with his cousin, Felipe of Spain, the Prince of Asturias.
Pavlos is fluent in Greek, German, English, Italian, French and Spanish.
- 1997 - Co-founded Griphon Asset Management, an alternative investment group
- 1998 - Co-founded Ivory Capital Group LLC and Ivory Fund Investors LLC, private investment groups focused on value-oriented equities
- 2002 - Co-founded Ortelius Capital Partners LLC, an alternative asset management group specializing in hedge funds
- 2003 - Co-founded Brigantine, a value based equity fund
He is also on the board of the Anna- Maria Foundation and United World College, USA.
Marriage and issueEdit
Crown Prince Pavlos married American heiress Marie-Chantal Miller (now styled as Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Greece, Princess of Denmark) on 1 July 1995. After their marriage, the couple resided in New York City, where he worked as an investment consultant. Their children are:
- H.R.H. Princess Maria-Olympia, born 25 July 1996 in New York City
- H.R.H. Prince Constantine Alexios (named after his grandfather), born 29 October 1998 in New York City
- H.R.H. Prince Achileas-Andreas, born 12 August 2000 in New York City
- H.R.H. Prince Odysseas-Kimon, born 17 September 2004 in London
- H.R.H. Prince Aristidis-Stavros, born 29 June 2008 in Los Angeles
Titles, styles, honors and armsEdit
Titles and stylesEdit
Crown Prince Pavlos has used the following titles and styles:
- His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Greece, Prince of Denmark, Duke of Sparta (1967–1973)
- His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Greece, Prince of Denmark (pretended; 1973–present)
- His Royal Highness Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, Prince of Denmark (used outside of Greece; 1973–present)
- Pavlos zu Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (commoner name; 1973–present)