|Prince Carl Philip|
| Prince of Sweden |
Duke of Varmland
|Spouse||Princess Sofia, Duchess of Varmland (m. 2015)|
| Prince Alexander, Duke of Närke (b. 2016) |
Prince Gabriel, Duke of Dalarna (b. 2017)
|Carl Philip Edmund Bertil|
|House||House of Bernadotte|
|Father||Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden|
|Mother||Silvia of Sweden|
|Born|| 13 May 1980 (age 37) |
Royal Palace of Sweden
|Religion||Church of Sweden|
As of June 2018, Prince Carl Philip is now eleventh-in-line to succeed the Swedish throne
Birth and Family Edit
Prince Carl Philip was born on 13 May 1979 at the Royal Palace of Stockholm, Sweden. He is the younger son and third child of King Carl XVI Gustaf and German-born Queen Silvia (née Sommerlath). He is of Swedish, German, Danish and Portuguese Brazilian (through his maternal grandmother) ancestry. One of his distant ancestors was chief Tibiriçá, a famous Amerindian chief from São Paulo. He is a member of the Royal House of Bernadotte. Through his father, a third cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, Carl Philip is also in the Line of succession to the British and other Commonwealth thrones.
Prince Carl Philip has three siblings, one brother and two sisters:
- Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden (born 1977)
- Prince Carl Fredrik, Duke of Västerbotten (born 1979)
- Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (born 1982)
Prince Carl Philip was christened at the Royal Chapel at Stockholm Palace on 13 August 1980.
Prince Carl Philip's names are:
Edmund - He and his brother were both given this name
Bertil - He and his brother share this name with their great-uncle, Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland
Prince Carl Philip's godparents are:
- Margrethe II of Denmark
- Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland
- Princess Brigitta of Sweden and Hohenzollern
- Prince Leopold of Bavaria
During 1984–1986, Prince Carl Philip attended the Västerled parish preschool. In the autumn of 1986, he started school at Smedslättsskolan in Bromma which he attended at junior level. For the intermediate level, he attended Ålstensskolan in Bromma, proceeding from there, in the autumn of 1992, to senior level at Enskilda Gymnasiet in Stockholm. In the autumn of 1994, Carl Philip enrolled at Kent School. He then continued his studies in a science programme at Lundsbergs upper secondary school. He graduated in the spring of 1999. In 2007-2008, he studied graphic design at the Rhode Island School of Design for one year. In 2011, Prince Carl Philip finished his studies in Agricultural and Rural Management at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Alnarp.
As a member of the House of Bernadotte, Prince Carl Philip undertakes royal duties on behalf of his father, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. He acts as regent or representative when his father, his elder sister and his elder brother are absent or out of the country as he would be the next blood adult as Crown Princess Victoria's young children or Prince Carl Fredrik's children are still young and not old enough to act as regent or representatives.
The Prince also undertakes royal duties on behalf of his father and people of Sweden. His duties include the celebrations of Sweden's National Day, The King and The Crown Princess's birthdays, the Nobel festivities, dinners and state visits with other members of the royal family.
Prince Carl Philip has been a scout and is fond of outdoor life. He is keen of Sports and Athletics like Football, Golf, Skiing, Sailing, Running and Swimming. In 2003 he, his father and elder brother had participated in the historic Swedish "Vasaloppet" the longest cross country ski race in the world, Prince Carl Philip also enjoys Skiing and snowboarding and racing, which he inherited from his great-uncle Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland which he, his brother and his nephew's both enjoy.
Carl Philip also enjoys car racing a passion he, his brother and nephews inherited from his great-uncle and godfather, Prince Bertil, and has a licence to compete. Prince Carl Philip has taken part in the racing series Porsche Carrera Cup Scandinavia in a Porsche 911 GT3. Since 2013 he has raced in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship. In 2015 at Falkenberg he got his first win.
With a great interest for design and drawing, the prince began studying and sometimes he still enjoys. In December 2003, for Queen Silvia's 60th birthday, he and his brother designed the cover for a CD of the music of Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker, which was released to honour Her Majesty's Landmark birthday (the proceeds from it goes to the world Childhood Foundation, an organisation that was founded by Queen Silvia, his sister-in-law and younger sister are also in the organisation).
Military Service Edit
The prince completed his military service at the Amphibious Battalion at Vaxholm Coastal Artillery Regiment as a combat boat commander (Combat Boat 90) in the autumn of 2000. In December 2002, the Prince was promoted to fänrik (midshipman), and in 2004 to the rank of löjtnant (sub-lieutenant) in the Swedish Navy. In 2007 and 2008 he went to the Swedish National Defense College. The course was divided in three weeks autumn 2007 and three weeks spring 2008. After that course he was appointed kapten in the Swedish Navy (lieutenant). On 1 October 2014, Prince Carl Philip achieved the rank of major.
Personal Life Edit
Prince Carl Philip dated Emma Pernald from 1999. Permald worked at a PR firm for several years. However, the prince and Pernald broke off their relationship in March 2009. She revealed in the Swedish newspaper Expressen that she and the prince mutually decided to go their separate ways. Pernald made no further comment as to the reason for the break-up.
In April 2010, Carl Philip was linked in the press with former semi-nude glamour model Sofia Hellqvist. In August 2010, Royal Court spokesperson, Nina Eldh, confirmed the relationship between Prince Carl Philip and Hellqvist in a statement released by the palace.
On 27 June 2014, it was announced that Carl Philip was engaged to Sofia Hellqvist.
They married on 13 June 2015 in the Stockholm's Royal Palace chapel, where thousands of people lined the street for the occasion. In an interview he criticized the press for suggesting that Sofia Hellqvist was not welcome in the royal family. He told the press that the opposite was true and that his family easily accepted her into the family. He compared the "bullying" of her past to that of himself being bullied for having dyslexia.
On 15 October 2015, it was announced that Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are expecting their first child, due in April 2016. On 19 April 2016, Princess Sofia gave birth to a son, Prince Alexander, Duke of Närke. On 9 September 2016, Prince Alexander was christened at the Royal Chapel of Stockholm Palace.
On 23 March 2017, It was announced that Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are expecting their second child in September 2017. On 31 August 2017, Princess Sofia gave birth to her second son; Prince Gabriel, Duke of Dalarna. On 1 December 2017, Prince Gabriel was christened in the Royal Chapel at Stockholm Palace.
Titles, Styles and Honours Edit
Titles and Styles Edit
- 13 May 1979 - present: His Royal Highness The Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
Prince Carl Philip's full style and title in Full: His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip Edmund Bertil of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
In Swedish: Hans kungliga höghet Prins Carl Philip Edmund Bertil av Sverige, hertig av Värmland
- Sweden: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (RoK av KMO)
- Sweden: Knight Grand Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star (KNO2kl)
- Sweden: Knight Grand Officer of the Royal Order of Charles XIII (RCXIII:sO)
- Sweden: Personal Aide de Camp to His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf (PADC)
- Sweden: Recipient of the Uppland Medal of Merit
- Sweden: Recipient of the Armed Forces Service Medal
- Sweden: Recipient of the Defence College Medal, Bronze
- Sweden: Recipient of the Swedish Military Peace Medal
- Sweden: Recipient of the 50th Birthday Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- Sweden: Recipient of the Silver Wedding Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia
- Sweden: Recipient of the Wedding Medal of Crown Princess Victoria to Daniel Westling
- Sweden: Recipient of the Ruby Jubilee Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- Sweden: Recipient of the 70th Birthday Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Foreign honours Edit
- Brazil: Grand Cross of the Order of Rio Branco
- Estonia: Grand Cross of the Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana
- Finland: Grand Cross of the Order of the White Rose
- Germany: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, 1st Class
- Greece: Grand Cross of the Order of Honour
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan
- Latvia: Grand Officer of the Order of the Three Stars
- Luxembourg: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
- Malaysia: Honorary Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia
- Norway: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav
- Romania: Grand Cross of the Order of Faithful Service
- Tunisia: Grand Officer of the Order of Merit